Every leader has to make decisions regarding underachieving employees. When a leader determines that an employee is incapable or unwilling to perform at the required level, it is time to make a change. Once a decision is made to replace an employee the question becomes whom do we replace the employee with?
There are several options:
- Do not replace the employee and spread the work among existing staff
- Promote a person to the position and replace the junior position
- Look outside the company for an experienced high achiever
When you need to look outside your own company keep several points in mind:
- It is best to find the replacement prior to terminating the employee. You do not want a position to go unfilled for very long.
- It is important that you talk to the best people available – do not limit yourself to respondents to an advertisement! The best people are seldom looking. At any given time only 5 to 10 % of employees are actively looking for a new position. You will be competing both in and outside your industry for their attention.
- If you are not interviewing the best candidates in the marketplace – you will not be hiring the best candidate!
- Keep the position confidential. Turmoil is created when an employee knows that he is being replaced
When you find yourself in the position of replacing an employee, a good recruitment firm will work in complete confidence. For over a quarter of a century Automotive Personnel, LLC has been:
- recruiting the highest achievers,
- setting up confidential interviews,
- negotiating the compensation and
- reducing the risk of acceptance of counter-offers!
We endeavor to make the hiring process as simple as 1, 2, 3…….
- Contact us with your need
- We do all the search and recruitment work and present the best to you
- You interview and hire the best
Let us know if we can assist your company with your personnel needs.
Donald Jasensky , Founder and CEO